Saturday 22 July 2017

To the ferry! Day three



Ok. I'm not gonna lie. Today was tough.

I have a bit of time to kill so this post is also going to a bit longer than the other 2!

Let me give you a bit of background info so you understand some of what comes later.

As mentioned previously I haven't really arranged accommodation in advance as, if I don't reach my intended destination each day, I don't want to be cancelling at the last minute. The exception was tonight and tomorrow. Knowing I had to get the ferry to Belfast I put out some feelers a few days ago and had been in contact with an independent hostel called Arnie's.

Initially, they couldn't accommodate me, but I got an email advising they had a cancellation, did I still want the room? Yes please! What time BEFORE 9pm would I arrive in Belfast. Ah. I was booked on the 7.30pm sailing from Cairnryan. The ticket asked me to be at the ferry port an hour before that so 6.30. the ferry didn't arrive in Belfast until 9.45pm. the earlier ferry left at 3.30, meaning I would have to be there for 2.30. I had bought a flexible ticket just in case of problems. Could I get to the ferry port in time for the earlier sailing time?

I checked the map and Google told me that I had 43 miles to cycle. If I left as planned around 9/9.30am That gave me 5 hours to get there. Doable. If tight. I told Arnie this, and he said as I was cycling he would wait for me if I didn't make it. If I could get the 3.30 boat that would be preferable, but don't get myself killed trying. Ok. Challenge was on.

When I first got up this morning my legs were a little achey, not too bad, but I could feel it. After a little walking about, a good breakfast of scrambled eggs and bacon plus toast and butter x1, toast and Nutella x1, a tangerine and a yoghurt, a glass of orange juice and 2 cups of coffee however, the aches were pretty much gone and I was ready to go.

The first section out of Troon was dead easy, and I found myself passing Prestwick  airport, going through Prestwick and then Ayr in no time. The path for this section was a mixture of coast paths and roads - lovely scenery of beaches and green spaces looking over the Firth of Clyde before it becomes the Atlantic Ocean, interspersed with the odd housing scheme and a quick run through Ayr main Street before cycling along the promenade. There were quite a few folk out, walking dogs, just walking, or cycling. The weather after threatening rain just as I was leaving had instead remained clear, and while not sunny, it was still a nice morning. If I had more time I may have stopped and paddled, but I had a ferry to catch.
Passing Prestwick
Ayr Town Centre
Passing through Ayr

Coming out of Ayr I got my first real but fairly small hill of the day, managed up it feeling ok, and had fabulous views looking back towards Ayr. The small lane I was on went past Greenans Castle, there was a bench with 2 girls and a small motorbike, it looked like they were on tour too. I said hello as I went past, and then it was downhill to meet back up with the A719, this was a fairly wide road with a good surface and most of the passing traffic gave me a wide berth, it was around 11 when I passed Craig Tara holiday park, and I felt like I was making good time, and enjoying the ride. I passed another female cyclist with panniers who looked like she was also touring, going in the opposite direction, and we gave each other a wave.
Looking back towards Ayr near Greenan Castle



It was shortly after this that route 7 turned off the main road, a sign saying 7 miles to Maybole, where I would abandon the route in favour of the A77 to the ferry port.  Great only 7 miles! But next to the turn off was another sign, pointing the same way which gave me an 'oh dear' moment. It said Carrick Hills. Now I don't mind the odd hill, I'm not a lover of them like my fellow Belles Ullie and Claire, but I can normally manage them ok if I need to. But these hills had a name. And that meant they were big enough to be a land mark. Which meant they would be tough.
Climbing the Carrick Hills

Looking back part way  up

Sure enough, the gradient soon became too much for me, and I'm not ashamed to say that a lot of the next few miles were spent walking rather than cycling. Those 7 miles to Maybole took me around 2 hours. My hopes of catching the 3.30 sailing were vanishingly slim.
At the top looking back to Ayr
The hills themselves were challenging and beautiful, I had great views back towards Ayr - not so much on the other side. I was hoping for a lovely descent to make up for all the climbing, but it never really materialised. Nevertheless the country lane I was following while quite potholed in parts was fairly good for the type of terrain, there were sheep out to graze on the scrub grass on the hill and the scent of bracken filled the air on the way up, the vegetation was mostly bracken and gorse, which was not yet flowering - I can imagine when it is in bloom it would also fill the air with its scent as well as brightening up the scene with its brilliant yellow flowers, but that will happen later in the year.
Looking back some more
I finally reached the top and found a passing place where people had obviously parked up to enjoy the view and eat dinner - unfortunately the reason I could tell this was from the rubbish they left behind, why can't people take it with them and dispose of it responsibly??? I considered stopping for 5 minutes and cleaning up a little, but I had nowhere to put the rubbish - and I had a ferry to catch! Despite the slow ascent I still hoped to make the ferry.  The path levelled out a lot undulating a little along the top of the hill. I was really feeling it in my legs now and felt a bit like a jack in the box jumping on and off the bike.

Eventually though what goes up must come down, and I got a bit of a descent, although filled with potholed/gravelly roads and sharp corners I had to take it slow. It also wasn't long before I was climbing again, it went on like this for some time and I was beginning to think I had missed a turn. Eventually I saw a sign for route 7 turning right - up yet another hill! Walking up here again there were some raspberry bushes growing in the hedge row, so of course I picked some to eat as I went by - can't beat wild raspberries! I paused at the top to eat a banana and some energy ball mush (it had been nicely shaped, but the mix is quite sticky, and they had lost the shape lovingly rolled while at Heather's) still, very tasty and full of energy they gave me a boost. Finally there was another sign for Maybole - only 2 miles to go.

Coming out of Maybole I turned onto the A77 and finally got a bit of the descent I had been expecting. The road here was wide and well kept. The next 5 miles or so were pretty easy, and I enjoyed not having to pedal so hard. It is quite a fast road, but again most of the traffic gave me a good berth, and I was passed by quite a lot of cars and the front part of a lorry. Soon enough the route I was following turned me into another country lane, I checked the map and it looked like it cut off a corner of the A77 route so I went with it, it was actually a lovely little lane and gave me a great view of the sea coming back to the coast, with a nice downhill back to the A77 I didn't regret it, if it hadn't saved me time it was much nicer to be away from the traffic and when I met back with the A77 it was 5 miles to Girvan. Shortly after this the same front part of lorry went by me again and I was doubly glad of the decision, it seemed it had saved some time after all.

I liked the look of Girvan as I went through it, but didn't stop - although maybe I should have. By this point I had given up hope of making the earlier boat, but thought I would push on just in case. I was also pretty much out of water. I did see the train station and considered that as an option for about 20 seconds, but not knowing the frequency of the trains, how long it would take to Stranraer, and how long the cycle from Stranraer to Cairnryan would be I decided against it. Sorry Arnie! By this point it was 1.30, the satnav said I still had 20 or so miles to go (had I really only done 23?) And I knew I wouldn't get there on time.

Stopping at the lovely looking Woodhouse Farm Hotel and Restaurant to fill up my water bottles and use the facilities, one of the staff there told me I had another long ascent ahead before the road undulated down to Cairnryan. Thanking him for the warning I carried on and soon found myself climbing again, I hadn't seen a sign for the village he had mentioned so wasn't sure if this was the hill he meant or not but it was also at this point that the rain I had avoided to date finally caught up with me, I can tell you that climbing a hill in a downpour may not be fun, but actually it was quite refreshing in its way - I don't mind a bit of rain so long as I know I can get warm and dry at the end of it. The hill proved a challenge though and I stopped a few times on the way up, and was passed by a fellow cyclist also on tour. At the end though there was a lovely long downhill, and the weather let up a little, the rain turning to a refreshing shower for the next hour or so.

Passing through Ballantrae I was soon climbing again. A sign near the bottom of the ascent had told me it was 10 miles to Cairnryan. Not far to go! Except the hill went up. And up. And up. I was doing my jackinabox impression again, and taking the opportunity to snack and rehydrate on the way up. Finally reaching the top another sign told me it was now 6 miles to Cairnryan. I had covered only 4 miles. On the plus side, the weather had cleared and I had dried off a little. The next bit of road was easy, the road widened out and it was mostly downhill- where it did go up again mostly my momentum took me up the small slopes.
Descent to Cairnryan

To the left of me was rock face which was blocked in by wire fencing in case of rockfalls, but every so often a waterfall would make an appearance, gushing down the rocks and disappearing under the road. To the right was a tree covered slope. My legs still felt weak, but I was buoyed by the refreshing downhill and very soon after I could see the sea appearing again, quickly followed by the ferry terminal to the right. I had made it - sadly an hour and a half late for the earlier boat, but I was here.
The Ferry Terminal!
The terminal was deserted, but I rang the bell on the counter and someone appeared from a back room. Check in for the next boat wasn't open yet, but I could wait here, and as soon  as a female security guard appeared I could check in and get a hot drink and something to eat in the cafe. I emailed Arnie to let him know and took the opportunity for a quick change into dry clothes. I checked my mileage 58 miles! So much for the 43 promised by Google! Not sure exactly where I went wrong, but either I hadn't checked properly in the morning or Google had lied to me. Another nearly 60 mile day - and despite how tough it felt, my average speed was actually slightly faster! All the downhill made a difference after all.

Once through security I could relax, grab a drink and a sandwich and start writing today's post. My tablet died before I had finished, so I had to wait to finish and publish the post.

I am now ensconced in a tiny bed  in the hostel. The ferry crossing was lovely. Normally on a boat I would spend a good portion of time out on deck watching the waves, but not this time! This time I had booked onto the Nordic spa when I bought my ticket. Massage treatments were also offered so I took the opportunity to get a massage for my aching muscles and spent most of trip in a jacuzzi.

When I came out I had just enough time for fish and chips before the ferry docked in Belfast at 9.45pm.  I had to wait for the cars to go off deck and chatted to a motorcyclist who had been on a group tour in Scotland and was just heading home. Cycling off the boat I was finally in Belfast! I realised it was getting dark and stopped to put on my lights, set the satnav for Armies, and pedalled my first miles in Northern Ireland. I got a bit turned around and it was close to 11 before I arrived at the hostel. Arnie was very welcoming, showed me around, and offered me a cup of tea. All I really wanted though was a bed! All they had available for tonight is a tiny room with bunkbeds normally reserved for staff, but as I said to Arnie all I need is somewhere to lay my head - I'm not fussed what it looks like or how big it is, I'm just grateful to have somewhere to sleep.


Ferry docking in Belfast

As above

Coming into Belfast


First miles in Belfast!
On that note the sandman is most definitely calling. Time to go to sleep. I have a city to explore tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. Babs u are incrediable! The photos are beautiful 😊😊😊 the spa and jacuzzi sound amazingm they do that on a ferry? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Only on some of them! Didn't offer it for the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead unfortunately!

      Delete
  2. Barbara this is great!I am enjoying the blog and looking forward to more :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mylene, glad you are enjoying it :)

      Delete
  3. Well done! I would have been stressed out my box to catch a ferry, so I am very impressed at your stoic perspective :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit but Arnie had said it was fine if I didn't make it and there wasn't much I could do except go foe the later one! Felt quite guilty, but he was lovely about it

      Delete